Many of us have spent the past week looking for ways to support the protests and activism happening around the US and the UK. One way to show solidarity with the Black community is by putting your money straight into Black-owned businesses. We’ve put together this list of London’s Black-owned restaurants, organised by area, that are currently open for takeaway and delivery.
This is not just a list of Black-owned restaurants we should all be supporting today, or tomorrow, or next week. These are restaurants that we should be supporting, always. That’s something we’ll definitely be doing more of, and this guide is just one step. It’s also just a starting point - we’ll be updating this list constantly. Please email us at email@example.com to let us know of restaurants that should be included on this list, and we’ll work to get them added as quickly as possible.
- Nigerian Food Xpress: Get spicy beef suya, ogbono, and chicken pie from this Nigerian takeaway spot in Barking. Order for collection by calling 020 8594 2805 or get it delivered from delivery apps.
- 805 Restaurant: Order suya, jollof and other Nigerian and West African specialities from this restaurant on the Old Kent Road in South Bermondsey. Give them a call on 020 7639 0808, or order via apps.
- Little Black Kitchen: Buttermilk waffles for a late breakfast, jerk chicken wraps for lunch, and peanut butter rocky road forever. These are some of the things you can expect from this spot. Call 07850 167 350 for collection and delivery details.
- Umana Yana Roti: A Guyanese spot in Brixton where traditional dishes are handmade by the owner on a daily basis, Umana Yana is now delivering. For curry, roti, patties, pine tarts, and more call 020 8671 8227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Big Town: Lobster tail, shrimp, squid, scallops, plantain, and roast corn. That’s everything you’ll find in Big Town’s huge £30 seafood special, but in case you’re not in the mood to eat half the cast of Shark Tale they also serve burgers, rotisserie chicken, stewed meats, and kid specials. Hit up their website to place your order.
- Eat Of Eden: This place serves the largest single person combo platters we’ve ever seen. Seriously, they’re huge. And now you can get them delivered if you’re within six miles of their Clapham branch by clicking here. Alternatively, stop by for contactless collection. Plus, keep an eye out for their Lewisham and Brixton branches opening again soon.
- Dalhousie: This south London café and bakery are delivering locally. Call Derek on 07711 924 610 to order one (or more) of their selection of 10 cakes.
- Rock Steady Rum Lounge: The family-run Caribbean restaurant and bar is open for takeaway with roti wraps, curries, and banoffee pie all on the menu. Call 0208 670 4030, or order via app.
- Andu Café: The popular Ethiopian spot is open for takeaway, so you can enjoy their hefty vegan sampler platters that feature yesimir wot, fesolia, injera, and more. Call 0207 254 1780, and remember it’s cash-only.
- Kaffa Coffee: This coffee shop is serving things like beetroot stew, split lentils in red pepper sauce, and of course coffee. You can stop by their Dalston spot from Monday to Saturday.
- Lekki Restaurant and Bar: Order meat suya, oxtail pepper soup, and fried plantain from this West African spot in Dalston. Check out their full menu, give them a call on 020 7923 2050 to order, or find them on delivery apps.
- Peppers and Spice: The Dalston spot is a go-to for patties and more. They’re open for takeaway, or give them a call on 0207 275 9818.
- Island Buka: This Nigerian spot has been serving Deptford rice, beans, plantain, and more, for years and years. If you’re local you can swing by the High Street for takeaway or call them on 020 8692 8397.
- Hilltop Roti: The Trinidadian options at Hilltop Roti in West Ealing range from curried shrimp with potatoes in coconut milk, to channa, callaloo, and macaroni pie. Collect in person, or order via apps.
ELEPHANT & CASTLE
- Kaieteur Kitchen: This Guyanese street food stall is open for takeaway. Call 07466 616137 to order souse, fried fish, coconut lamb stew, and more to collect from Elephant & Castle.
- Tasty Jerk:The Caribbean takeaway spot is open for delivery and collection, so you can enjoy their charred jerk and fiery hot sauce at home. Swing by in person or give them a call on 0207 358 5329.
- Too Sweet: If you’re around Homerton, it’s worth stopping by Too Sweet for a hearty plate of oxtail, jerk chicken, or curry goat with rice and pea, and a dumpling on the side too. Order from the apps, or give them a call on 020 8525 8168.
- Belly’s Taste of Jamaica: At £4.50, Belly’s lunchtime oxtail lunch deal is about as good value as it gets. There’s callaloo, fried plantain, mac and cheese, and plenty more too. Go in person, give them a call on 0207 613 2111, or order via app.
- Swift Caribbean Delights: If you haven’t stopped by Swift for a beef and cheese patty, then you’re missing out. This Homerton spot also does a tasty curry mutton, plus lots more. Call on 0208 533 6060, or order via app.
- 805 Restaurant: Order suya, jollof and other Nigerian and West African specialities from this restaurant in Hendon Central. Give them a call on 020 8202 9449, or order via apps.
- The Tastebox: A Caribbean spot on Gillespie Road, they’re delivering fried chicken, curried goat, ackee with saltfish, and more.
- Homemade By Hadassah: African, Caribbean and Asian ‘soul-food’ is what you can find at Homemade By Hadassah. From a tray of lamb chops and a full pot of jollof rice to a whole chocolate caramel Malteser cheesecake for £12, they’ve got it. DM them on Instagram to place an order for delivery anywhere in London.
- Saint Aymes: Whether you’re looking for mixed boxes of cupcakes, macarons, or cakes fit for a celebration, this Marble Arch café is open for takeaway and delivery.
- Jollof ’n Jerk: It’s not just about jollof rice and jerk chicken at this Ghanaian takeaway in Mitcham. There’s also yam, plantain, and banku dishes. Call 020 8640 9599 to arrange collection and delivery, or find them on your delivery apps.
- Jay Dees Caribbean: This North Kensington takeaway is perfect for a takeaway of curried goat, saltfish patties, jerk chicken, and rice and peas. Call 020 7243 5969 to place an order.
- Drums and Flats: These wing, buffalo sauce, and buttermilk fried chicken nuggets specialists are deliverying across South East London. Email email@example.com to find out if you’re in their zone.
- Lolak Afrique: When you’re looking for Nigerian specialties around Peckham, order egusi, and tuwo shinkafa from this spot. Call 0207 277 8912 or find them on delivery apps.
- JB’s Soulfood: This Caribbean takeaway spot is delivering jerk chicken, patties, and plantain around Peckham. Call them on 07980 940001, or find them on delivery apps.
- Issa Vibe: Wings, waffles, and BBQ jackfruit are just some of the things you can order from this Rye Lane favourite. They’re open Thursday to Sunday, and you collect in person or order via app.
- Kate’s Café: Tilapia, jollof rice, and akonfem (guinea fowl) are just some of the things you can order from the Ghanaian-influenced menu at Kate’s. Place an order by calling 020 8586 6793.
- Banaadiri: This spot in Shepherd’s Bush (with a sister location in Finsbury Park) serves homemade Somali food. Give them a call on 020 8740 8888.
- Ochi: Anywhere that’s good enough for Rihanna is good enough for all of us. Ochi is RiRi’s go-to Caribbean spot in Shepherd’s Bush, and if you really want to follow suit, you’ll get curry chicken too. It’s open for takeaway or you can order via all the usual apps.
- The Treats Club: The first thing you should know about The Treats Club is that it’s impossible to look at a single picture of their oreo donuts without getting a serious case of the dribbles. This dessert bar usually trades from Brick Lane Market, but they’re currently delivering hot donut sundae kits across London and the UK. For biscoff, marshmallow, ice cream, and more click here.
- Roti Stop: A tiny corner takeaway next to Stoke Newington station, Roti Stop makes excellent roti, stews, and peanut punch.
- Calabash Bistro: This Caribbean spot in Stratford is open for collection and delivery. You can order via app, or pick-up their £5 lunchtime special of jerk chicken, curried goat, and more, with rice and drink.
- Stoney Hill: Get patties, jerk pork, oxtail, plus other meals from this Jamaican spot. Order via app or call 020 3583 2246.
- Somali Town: Somali Town is open for delivery and takeaway, and you should taking advantage of that by ordering hanid with rice and salad, or salmon with macaroni. Call direct on 020 8835 8406, or order via app.
- So Nice One Stop: Open for delivery on all apps, and also for takeaway, So Nice One Stop has a range of Caribbean dishes that change every day of the week.
- Emba Soira: This Eritrean restaurant on Crouch Hill is doing takeaway. There are vegan options. There are gluten free options. And there are huge bowls of meaty slow-cooked zigni.
- Brothers Cafe & Restaurant: Fragrant rice and tender meat is what to expect from this traditional Somali spot near Bruce Grove. Give them a call on 020 3556 7258, or head there for collection.
- Caribbean Spice: When you’re craving pepper steak washed down with sweet pineapple punch, order from Caribbean Spice near Seven Sisters. Find them on delivery apps or call them on 020 8802 5000 and pick-up in person.